Rails to River Endurance XC Mountain Bike Race
Rails to River Mountain Bike Race and Relay
It’s been too long since EX2 hosted a mountain bike race…and it’s been too long since Lake Fairfax has seen a mountain bike race! So we are fixing both of those things in 2020!! We are stoked to announce the inaugural Rails to River Endurance XC Mountain Bike Race and Relay. The race will be held on Saturday May 2, 2020.
Format and Classes
Modeled after the 6-hours of Cranky Monkey races of old, the Rails to River XC will feature two endurance XC races – a 3-hour solo event and a 6-hour solo and team relay. The goal of both races is simple…crush as many laps of the 6.8 mile course as possible in the allotted time.
3-Hour Solo Classes: Female, Beginner Male, Male Open, Singlespeed, Clydesdale (200+ lbs)
6-Hour Solo Classes: Female, Male, Male Masters 40+, Male Masters 50+, and Singlespeed
6-Hour 2-Person Relay Classes: Co-Ed, Female, Male, and Male Masters 80+ (combined team age).
6-Hour 3-Person Relay Classes: Co-Ed, Female, Male, and Male Masters 120+ (combined team age).
Lake Fairfax Trail Fund
All the trails at Lake Fairfax Park are primarily built and maintained by volunteers organized by the Mid-Atlantic Off-Road Enthusiasts (MORE). All racers will have the opportunity to donate to the Lake Fairfax Trail Fund during registration.
Race Course Notes
- The race course is roughly 6.8 miles in length with the start and finish of the course at the large pavilion.
- The elevation change is about 500 feet and there are no significant climbs, although there are numerous shorter ones.
- The race starts heading up the gravel road towards the cricket fields. During subsequent laps, the gravel road will be the way into the pit area and we will use the grass along the tree line of the cricket field for outgoing lap traffic.
- There are a few fairly technical rock sections, but they are short and can easily be walked if needed.
- Lake Fairfax is awesome…come get some!
$45 – New Year by 1/5/20
$50 – Early by 4/2/20
$60 – Regular by 4/29/20
$70 – Race Day (if available)
$65 – New Year by 1/5/20
$70 – Early by 4/2/20
$80 – Regular by 4/29/20
$90 – Race Day (if available)
6-Hour 2-Person Relay
$90 – New Year by 1/5/20
$100 – Early by 4/2/20
$120 – Regular by 4/29/20
$140 – Race Day (if available)
6-Hour 3-Person Relay
$120 – New Year by 1/5/20
$135 – Early by 4/2/20
$165 – Regular by 4/29/20
$195 – Race Day (if available)
Registration Fee Includes
Fun and challenging course design, professional race operations, wonderful volunteer support, mechanical support, awesome aid stations, medical support, plentiful post-race food, electric atmosphere, great music, and awards and give-a-ways.
Race Day Schedule
Saturday May 2, 2020
7:00am – 8:45am – Check-in and pit setup
9:00am – 9:15 – Pre-race briefing (both 3 and 6 hour races)
9:50am – 6-hour riders line up for start
10:00am – 6-hour race and relay start
10:10am – 3-hour race riders line up
10:20am – 3-hour race start
1:00pm – 3-hour must start last lap (2 hr 40 mins into race)
2:15pm – 3-hour awards, prizes and give-a-ways
3:45pm – 6-hour racers must start last lap (5.5 hours into race)
5:00pm – 6-hour awards, prizes and give-a-ways
Lake Fairfax Park
1400 Lake Fairfax Drive
Reston, VA 20190
From Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway):
- Lake Fairfax Park may be reached by taking Beltway Exit 47A which is Route 7 or Leesburg Pike west for approximately 7-8 miles to a left on Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Take the second left on Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Enter the follow the signs to check-in.
From Interstate 66:
- Take I-66 to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway – formerly Rt 7100) towards RESTON/ HERNDON and travel about 9.4 miles.
- Merge onto BARON CAMERON AVE / VA-606 E. Travel about 2.8 miles and turn right onto Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Enter the park and follow the signs to check-in.