Schaeffer Course Descriptions
The flowy, fast, and fun trails at Schaeffer Farms are wonderfully maintained and offer twisty single-track, stream crossings, log ramps, several steep hills, and open farm field running. Moderately technical with some rocky and rooty sections, these race courses begin and end in the huge grassy fields of the privately managed Button Farm Living History Center off Black Rock Road.
Course Length: 13.5 Miles OR 6.8
Race is SOLD OUT.
Half Marathon (13.1 Miles)
$70 – New year by 1/6/19
$75 – Early by 10/5/19
$80 – Regular by 10/30/19
$90 – Race day
$45 – New year by 1/6/19
$50 – Early by 10/5/19
$55 – Regular by 10/30/19
$65 – Race day
Registration Fee Includes
Fun and challenging course design, awesome finisher medal, professional race operations, wonderful volunteer support, well-stocked aid stations, medical support, plentiful post-race food (breakfast burritos and other tasty treats – yum!), electric atmosphere, great music, awards and give-a-ways, and a race t-shirt you’ll love.
Race Day Schedule
7:30 – Check-in opens
8:50 – Half marathon pre-race brief
9:00 – Half marathon starts
10:20 10K pre-race brief
10:30 – 10K race starts
10:45 – Post-race food available
11:45 – FREE kids race*
12:00 – Awards (top 5 in each category) and sponsor give-a-ways
* Kids race is for ages 2-11. We split into age groups and run short out and back ‘race’. Kids who participate can pick from the Treasure Box.
Backyard Burn at Laurel Hill
9601 Ox Rd
Lorton, VA 22079
Button Farm Living History Center
(Staging Area – RACE DAY ONLY)
16820 Black Rock Road
Germantown, MD 20874
From Interstate 270:
- Exit 15B Rt. 118 West. Follow for approx. 3.7 miles.
- Turn RIGHT onto Black Rock Road and follow for approx. 1.3 miles.
- Turn RIGHT into the Button Farm Living History Center.
- Follow the signs to the huge fields behind the farmhouse. This is a working farm with roaming animals, especially around the farmhouse. So, please drive SLOWLY at all times on the farm.
- Portable music players or any device requiring earphones are not permitted.
- Outside assistance is only permitted within 50 meters of an aid station.
- Race numbers must be worn on the front and must be visible at all times.
- Half marathon racers must maintain a minimum pace that will allow for a 4 hour maximum finish.
- Pets and Pacers are not allowed on the course.
- Baby strollers are not permitted on the course.
- Respect other racers, volunteers, race staff, and the environment. No littering.
- Poor sportsmanship may result in disqualification.
- Racers must notify race officials if they drop out of the race.
- Stay on designated trails.