Greenhorn Adventure Race
Welcome to Adventure Racing! The Greenhorn AR, now in our 9th edition, was created to offer competitors a gateway into the sport of adventure racing. This 4 hour sprint adventure race was designed with the beginner in mind, but fun for everyone no matter the skill or experience level! While there is significant challenge built in, this event is fun and highly achievable for the novice racer. The navigation is straight forward and the maps that we provide are excellent. The mountain biking takes racers over gravel roads, some pavement, and semi-technical singletrack trails. Finally, the paddling takes place on a clear lake.
Race Start/Finish Location: Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA
Total Distance/Time: Roughly 15 miles, 4 hours time limit
Disciplines: Trekking (~3 to 6 miles), paddling (~1 mile), mountain biking (~8 to 10 miles), navigation (beginner level)
Teams: Soloists and teams of two or three (male, female, or co-ed). Team members travel together the entire race.
Solists, or teams of two or three will be tasked with finding about 15 to 20 checkpoints dispersed in and around Lake Fairfax Park in Reston, VA. These checkpoints must be found on bike, foot, or in a canoe. All teammates will travel together the entire race. The exact order and distance of each segment is kept a secret until race day but we can tell you that the course will include the most distance of biking, then trekking (or running if you are speedy), and then paddling. There will be several route options and decision making in this race, all of which will cost or save your team time.
Registration Fee Includes
Fun and challenging course design, all paddling equipment, awesome maps, professional race operations, wonderful volunteer support, medical support, plentiful post-race food, electric atmosphere, great music, awards and give-a-ways, and a race t-shirt you’ll love.
Race Weekend Schedule
Friday May 10th
5:00pm to 7:00pm – Optional early check-in*
6:00pm – Intro to adventure racing and basic map skills clinic
* Maps and rules of travel will not be distributed until Saturday morning at 7:30am
Saturday May 11th
7:30 – Check-in opens
9:15 – Pre-race briefing (mandatory)
9:50 – Racers assemble at starting line
10:00 – Race starts
12:00 – Post-race food available
1:45 – FREE kids race**
2:15 – Awards ceremony and sponsor give-a-ways
** Kids race is for ages 2-11. We split into age groups and run a short out and back ‘race’. Kids who participate can pick from the Treasure Box.
Mandatory Gear for Each Racer
- Bike (mountain bikes are recommended as you will be on singletrack. You don’t want to use a road bicycle. If you aren’t sure about a bike, please get in get in touch)
- Bike helmet
- Way to carry enough food and water for the length of the event
Mandatory Gear for Each Team
- Race map (provided at check-in)
- Race rules of travel (provided at check-in)
- Race passport (provided at check-in)
- Basic bike repair kit (spare tube, a way to inflate a tube, bike multi-tool)
- Cell phone (fully charged)
- Small dry bag for your cell phone (either a few zip locks or a store bought dry bag)
- Waterproof map case (this can be as simple as a zip lock bag or a fancy store bought case)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather that day
** All paddling gear (canoe, kayak, PFDs, and paddles) will be provided. Racers may NOT use their own paddling equipment. **
Lake Fairfax Park
1400 Lake Fairfax Drive
Reston, VA 20190
From Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway):
- Lake Fairfax Park may be reached by taking Beltway Exit 47A which is Route 7 or Leesburg Pike west for approximately 7-8 miles to a left on Baron Cameron Avenue.
- Take the second left on Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Follow the parking signs to check-in.
From Interstate 66:
- Take I-66 to Route 286 (Fairfax County Parkway – formerly Rt 7100) towards RESTON/ HERNDON and travel about 9.4 miles.
- Merge onto BARON CAMERON AVE / VA-606 E. Travel about 2.8 miles and turn right onto Lake Fairfax Drive which will lead you directly into the park.
- Follow the parking signs to check-in.
Awards will be presented to the top five in all race categories. Awards will be presented after the race at the awards ceremony.
- Team members must stay within 100 ft of each other at all times (unless otherwise instructed).
- All team members must follow all official race rules provided during check-in.
- Portable music players or any device requiring earphones are not permitted.
- Pets are not allowed on the course.
- Respect other racers, volunteers, race staff, and the environment. No littering.
- Poor sportsmanship may result in disqualification.
- Racers must notify race officials if they drop out of the race.
Male, Male Masters (50+), Female, Female Masters (50+)
2 Person Team Divisions include:
Duo Co-ed, Duo Female, Duo Male, and Duo Co-Ed Masters (combined team age of 90+)
3 Person Team Divisions include:
Co-ed, Female, Male, and Masters (team members any gender, combined team age of 135+)