|Race Day Information for Race #3 - November 4, 2012
Below is the race day info email explaining all the details for the Backyard Burn race next Sunday, November 4th. Normally, we do not send this out until the middle of race week but I wanted to send it early considering the likely impact that Hurricane Sandy will have on communication and power.
As of now, the race is a ‘go’, but this may change depending on the severity of the storm and its impact on the trails, power, and communication. We will post a ‘race status’ message between 2pm-5pm on Friday, November 2nd. Assuming we are able to get on the internet, we will email this message to all registered racers and volunteers and post on the homepage of our website (www.ex2adventures.com). At the very least, we will update our Facebook page, which can be done from our mobile phones. We will also leave a message at the following number (571) 251-6034. If possible, please log on instead of calling.
If needed our rain date is Sunday, November 11, 2012.
Be safe and hope to see you next weekend.
Dear Backyard Burn Competitors:
The third race of the Fall Backyard Burn Trail Running Series will be held on Sunday, November 4th at Wakefield Park in Annandale, VA. This ‘mostly flat’ course is tons of fun and includes twisty single-track hiking trails, wide cinder trails, and several shallow stream crossings. We are looking forward to a fantastic day and wish you the best of luck!
Schedule for race day, Sunday, November 4, 2012:
- Check-in/packet pick up opens @ 7:30am (please arrive no later than 8am)
- Pre-race brief @ 8:50am
- Race start @ 9am
- Awards @ 10:45am
See below for detailed info on parking, directions, check-in, course description, course marking, aid stations, post race food, awards, sponsors, giveaways, etc.
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME: It’s Daylight Savings Time on race weekend so please remember to move your clocks back one hour before going to bed on Saturday, November 3rd.
- Directions to Wakefield Park (8100 Braddock Rd, Annandale, VA 22003):
o From Interstate 495, take the Braddock Road exit going West.
o Wakefield Park entrance is located less than ½ mile from the 495 exit.
o Take a right into the park and follow the signs to race parking.
o Park and follow the signs to Check-In.
- Parking: Wakefield is always very busy on the weekends so please ARRIVE EARLY and CARPOOL if possible. We will be controlling the flow of traffic and parking to maximize available space. Please follow the direction of the parking volunteers.
- Check-in: Check-in will take place near the softball fields, on the left about a ¼ mile after you enter the park. Follow the signs to check-in after you park. Check-in opens at 7:30am. It takes time to park, check-in, use the bathroom, warm up, and attend the pre-race brief. Please arrive NO LATER THAN 8am.
- Restrooms: Restrooms in the RECenter will open at 8am. There are plenty of restrooms but they are a few hundred yards from check-in. So, plan accordingly. A limited number of restrooms will also be available in the small building near the softball fields, starting at 7am.
- Race start: The race begins at 9am SHARP! Both 5 and 10 mile racers will start at the same time. The pre-race brief will begin at 8:50am and take place in the softball fields parking lot located on the East side of the entrance road.
- Race Course: This race course includes a mixture of twisty single-track hiking trails, wide cinder trails, and a few shallow stream crossings. This is the flattest course in the series (but there are still some hills!). The course begins with 1.7 miles of wide cinder trails, dirt roads, open grassy areas, and paved running (about .3 miles of pavement). So, there is plenty of time and room for passing at the beginning of the race. The 5 mile course is actually 5.5 miles and the 10 mile course is exactly 10 miles. To view the map and course description, visit the following link: http://www.ex2adventures.com/byb-fall-schedule.php
- Course Marking: The course will be marked with pink surveyors tape and arrows. Yellow caution tape will block off the trails that are not part of the course. Course marking will be heavy before and after all trail intersections but light along the rest of the course.
- Mile Markers: Mile markers will be located three miles from the finish, two miles from the finish, one mile from the finish and ½ mile from the finish. Keep in mind that the 10 mile racers will pass these mile markers twice (once on each lap).
- NO IPODS: The use of IPODs or any device that restricts hearing is not permitted during any EX2 race. This is for your own safety and for the safety of your fellow runners. We have nothing against IPODs (in fact, we even give them away – see below) but they significantly reduce safety in a race environment.
- Aid Stations: This race has three on-course aid stations and one post-race aid station. All aid stations will be stocked with water and Gatorade. The 5 mile racers will have three opportunities for on-course aid (at mile 1, mile 2.7, and mile 4.6). The 10 mile racers will have six opportunities for on-course aid (at mile 1, mile 2.7, and mile 4.6, mile 5.5, mile 7.2, and mile 9.1). First aid kits and emergency communication will be available at each aid station.
- Recovery Tent: Dr. Kathy Coutinho, local ‘chiropractor to the athletes’, and her staff from Positively Chiropractic will be on hand offering up their chiropractic, massage, active release therapy, and first aid services to all comers. Stop by the ‘Recovery Tent’ to take advantage of these FREE services. Come see how Dr. Kathy can help you ‘always move forward’.
- Post Race Beverages/Food: Water, sodas, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate will be available after the race. Food includes pizza, bananas, trail bars, chips, candy, cookies, bagels, peanut butter, and oatmeal. FREE food and beverages will be available at the finish line for all racers and volunteers.
- EX2 Merchandise Sale: We have a bunch of cool merchandise so bring a check or some cash and pick up your EX2 hat, tech tee, cinch bag, car seat cover, vintage race tee, etc.
- Awards: The awards ceremony will take place at 10:45am! Awards will be given to the top five male and female racers in each age group for both the 5 and 10 mile races.
- Photos: As the official photographers of EX2 Adventures, Swim Bike Run Photography strives to capture the spirit of adventure and friendly competition of each of our races. They offer everything from digital downloads perfect for use on your Facebook page, traditional prints from wallet-size to giant posters, and some fun gifts like calendars, stamps, and such. Their photos usually go online within 2-7 days of each event. A link to their website will be available from the ‘results’ webpage.
- Sponsor Giveaways: Below is a rundown of all our sponsor giveaways. We will randomly select winners for the giveaways using a variety of different methods. We have a lot of swag to give away but you must be present at the awards ceremony to win. So, please plan on sticking around to join in the fun and come prepared with a change of warm clothes so you are comfortable.
- Lucky Foot Gait Analysis, Mobile Shop, 20% discount, and Series Prizes: Former owner of VA Runner, Jeff Van Horn, has opened a new business called Lucky Foot. His mobile shop will be set up near the finish line and his crew will be on hand offering up their gait analysis and shoe fitting expertise. On race day, all racers will receive 20% off any shoe purchase. In addition to these great race day services, Lucky Foot is sponsoring the 1st and 2nd place prizes to the FBYB series winners which include very cool Patagonia 60L Black Hole Travel Duffels ($120 value) for 1st place and Patagonia Half Mass Bags ($90 value) for 2nd place. Thank you, Lucky Foot!
- The Bike Lane FREE MONEY and Series Prizes: Get your gear at The Bike Lane! Race or volunteer in any of our races and you will walk away with a $5 gift certificate to the Bike Lane. That’s right, $5 in FREE MONEY, no minimum purchase required. Just visit their store to redeem your gift certificate. With locations in Springfield, VA and Reston, VA, The Bike Lane is your one-stop-mom-and-pop-bike shop. Also, The Bike Lane is sponsoring the 3rd, 4th, and 5th place prizes to the FBYB series winners. These are really nice CamelBak products ranging from $30-$80 in value. Thank you to The Bike Lane!
- Baird Automotive $100 Benjamin Bash: Benjamin, C-note, Hundie, Charlie, 100 Clams, Big One…..call it what you will but it all means the same thing….$100 of cold hard cash. Back by popular demand, race or volunteer in any of our twelve (12) trail running races in 2012 and you could win a crisp $100 bill, generously furnished by longtime EX2 racer and all around good guy, Joey Baird of Baird Automotive.
- The CDW IPOD Giveaway: You could win one of three IPOD shuffles given away at each of our twelve (12) trail running races in 2012…NICE! Trail running nut and CDW VP, Kevin Adams, will often help to randomly select the winners.
- Ameriprise Surprise Swag Raffle: At each trail running race in 2012, fellow racer and Ameriprise Financial Advisor, Erik Scudder will give away $50 in swag. He likes to surprise us with what he gives away but it is always nice stuff. Just stop by their table, fill in one of their forms, and you are eligible to win. Erik is also known for bringing hot coffee on cold mornings!
- Drink More Water - Water Bottle Giveaway: Drink More Water is committed to help you achieve peak performance by, well, drinking more water. Not only do they supply tons of water to EX2 (literally), but they will randomly give away water bottles at each race of the season. Pretty cool, huh? Racers and volunteers are eligible.
- Volunteers: Finally, we can always use the help of volunteers. If any of your friends or family can help out, please ask them to sign up online at the following link: http://www.ex2adventures.com/volunteer.php Volunteers help with check-in, aid stations, course marshaling, timing, food distribution, course sweeping and course demarking. Times vary from 7am-11:30am and shifts are usually 2-4 hours. Volunteers receive free food, a cool race t-shirt, $15 off a future EX2 race or $5 off EX2 merchandise, and our sincere appreciation. Plus, volunteering at EX2 races is fun!
Thanks for participating in the Fall Backyard Burn Trail Running Series. We are looking forward to a fantastic day. Good luck and see you on Sunday!