Greenhorn Adventure Race
Welcome to Adventure Racing! The Greenhorn AR, first held in 2006, was created to offer competitors a gateway into the sport of adventure racing. This 2-4 hour sprint adventure race was designed with the beginner in mind. While there is significant challenge built in, this event is fun and highly achievable for the novice racer. The navigation is straight forward, the trails are well marked, and the maps that we provide are excellent. The mountain biking takes racers over gravel roads, a little pavement, and semi-technical singletrack trails. Finally, the paddling takes place on a clear and calm mountain lake.
Total Distance/Time: 12-16 miles, 2-4 hours
Disciplines: Trekking, paddling, mountain biking, navigation
Teams: Soloists and teams of two or three (male, female, or co-ed)
Solists, or teams of two or three will be tasked with finding 7-15 checkpoints dispersed throughout beautiful Rocky Gap State Park in Western Maryland. These checkpoints must be found on bike, foot, or in a canoe (or kayak for soloists). The exact order and distance of each segment is kept a secret until race day but we can tell you that the course will include the most mileage of biking, followed by trail running, and then paddling. There are also plenty of surprises, twists, and decision making in this race, all of which will cost or save your team time.
Is the Greenhorn right for you?
The Greenhorn has been specifically designed for those without significant adventure racing experience. While we are not restricting registration, we ask that you please use the following as a barometer as to whether this competition is appropriate for you.
Register for the Greenhorn:
- If you have never competed in an adventure race.
- If it has been a while since you have competed in an adventure race and you are feeling out-of-practice or rusty.
- If you are generally more of a ‘back of the pack’ adventure racer as opposed to a front runner.
- If you are an experienced adventure racer who will register on a team with at least one other novice racer.
For those highly experienced racers that still want to participate, please come volunteer and help support new racers just getting into the sport.
If you are still unsure as to whether you should register for this event or if you have any other questions about the Greenhorn AR, please contact us.
About Rocky Gap State Park
Rocky Gap has tons to do and is just a 2.5 hour drive from the Washington and Baltimore metro areas. With camping, a Jack Nicklaus golf course, awesome beaches, miles of trails, fishing, and even a casino – your whole family will love it! Or you can make it a romantic getaway – there is a fancy lodge on site and plenty of bed and breakfasts located right in Cumberland.
$90 – New year by 1/7/18
$100 – Early by 4/5/18
$110 – Regular by 5/1/18
2 Person Teams
$160 – New year by 1/7/18
$180 – Early by 4/5/18
$200 – Regular by 5/1/18
3 Person Teams
$240 – New year by 1/7/18
$270 – Early by 4/5/18
$300 – Regular by 5/1/1
Registration Fee Includes
Fun and challenging course design, all paddling equipment, awesome maps, professional race operations, wonderful volunteer support, medical support, plentiful post-race food, electric atmosphere, great music, awards and give-a-ways, and a race t-shirt you’ll love.
Race Weekend Schedule
Friday May 4th
4:00pm – Basic map and compass skills clinic
5:00pm to 7:00pm – Optional early check-in*
* Maps will not be distributed until Saturday
Saturday May 5th
7:30 – Check-in opens
9:15 – Pre-race briefing (mandatory)
9:50 – Racers assemble at starting line
10:00 – Race starts
12:00 – Post-race food available
1:30 – FREE kids race**
2:00 – Awards ceremony and sponsor give-a-ways
** Kids race is for ages 2-11. We split into age groups and run a short out and back ‘race’. Kids who participate can pick from the Treasure Box.
Mandatory Gear for Each Racer
- Bike (mountain bike recommended)
- Bike helmet
- Way to carry enough food and water for the length of the event
Mandatory Gear for Each Team
- Race map (provided at check-in)
- Race rules of travel (provided at check-in)
- Race passport (provided at check-in)
- Basic bike repair kit (spare tube, a way to inflate a tube, bike multi-tool)
- Cell phone (fully charged)
- Small dry bag for your cell phone (either a few zip locks or a store bought dry bag)
- Waterproof map case (this can be as simple as a zip lock bag or a fancy store bought case)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather that day
** All paddling gear (canoe, kayak, PFDs, and paddles) will be provided. Racers may NOT use their own paddling equipment. **
Backyard Burn at Laurel Hill
9601 Ox Rd
Lorton, VA 22079
Rocky Gap State Park
12500 Pleasant Valley Rd.
Flintstone, MD 21530
Rocky Gap State Park is located in Western Maryland, 6 miles east of Cumberland in Allegany County. The park is approximately 2.5 hours from the Baltimore and Washington regions.
From Batimore and Washington DC:
- Travel to I-70 west.
- Travel west on I-70 past Hagerstown.
- At Hancock, take I-68 west.
- Take exit #50 for Rocky Gap State Park.
- Once in the park follow signs for Race Parking. The staging area is near the main bathhouse and snackbar in the ‘day use’ area on the eastern side of the lake.
Awards will be presented to the top five solo male and female, and top five in all age group categories. Awards will be presented after the race at the awards ceremony.
- Race-provided swim caps must be worn durin the swim.
- Portable music players or any device requiring earphones are not permitted.
- Race numbers must be worn on the front and must be visible at all times.
- Pets and Pacers are not allowed on the course.
- Respect other racers, volunteers, race staff, and the environment. No littering.
- Poor sportsmanship may result in disqualification.
- Racers must notify race officials if they drop out of the race.
- Stay on designated trails.
2 Person Team Divisions include:
Duo Co-ed, Duo Female, Duo Male, and Duo Co-Ed Masters (combined team age of 90+)
3 Person Team Divisions include:
Co-ed, Female, Male, and Masters (team members any gender, combined team age of 135+)