Hello from EX2 Adventures!
Although we just wrapped up our 2016 race season a few weeks ago, it’s hard to contain our excitement for the 2017 EX2 race line up.
In the New Year, we have 19 action-packed races planned, which include a healthy mix of shorter distance trail runs, endurance testing epics, and team bonding relays. We’re pumped for 2017 and we hope you’ll be too - it’s going to be an amazing year!
Registration is NOW OPEN for all 2017 EX2 races.
Highlights for 2017:
- Backyard Burn (Spring and Fall) – Well into their second decade in existence, the uber-popular 5 and 10 mile Backyard Burns are a staple in the diet of thousands of local trail runners. Prepare for the fun and challenge of Pohick Bay, Lake Fairfax, Laurel Hill, Fountainhead, Wakefield, Riverbend, and Hemlock. Both series are four or five races each and some venues will be ran only once in 2017.
- Rosaryville Half Marathon/10K (4/2/17) – Conveniently located right off the Capital Beltway and featuring a fun and flowy course that is not overly technical in nature, this 4th edition race is perfect for an early season test of endurance.
- Reservoir Relay Trail Running Race (5/21/17) – Including 18 miles of trail running awesomeness in Western Fairfax County, this unique race traverses the beautiful and challenging Bull Run-Occoquan Trail and is divided into three linear segments measuring 5-7 miles each. Race solo or leap frog the three segments on a 2 or 3 person relay team where the active runner and the ‘on deck’ runner swap car keys for timing chip. For two person teams, one team member completes any two segments of the race. Prepare for an epic solo challenge or get your team together for a super-fun run in the woods.
- Fountainhead Half Marathon/10K (6/11/17) – First arriving on the EX2 calendar in 2013, this fun, beautiful, and VERY challenging course is a trail runners' dream and was an instant sold out hit!
- Blue Crab Bolt (Summer) – Mosey over to Montgomery County, MD for these quick and fun Saturday morning summertime 5K and 10K trail runs. Race in one, two, or all three. For our DC and VA trail runners, these are some of the best trail systems in the DMV and are closer than most think. If you have not raced in these before, give them a try – you will not be disappointed.
- XTERRA EX2 (7/9/17) – Escape the summer city heat and head to the mountains for the 14th Annual XTERRA EX2 Off-Road Triathlon and Duathlon. Consistently voted by racers as one of the top 5 XTERRA races in the country, XTERRA EX2 is one event you can race year in and year out. Whether you race solo or on a relay team, join us at beautiful Rocky Gap State Park for one incredible weekend of action!
- Fountainhead Trail Tri (8/13/17) - Paddle, mountain bike, trail run - elite or sport class - solo or relay team. All paddling equipment is provided. Elites mountain bike the entire 14 mile Fountainhead MTB Trail System, including the BLACK LOOP. Sports are challenged with 7 miles on the Green and Blue loops only. Kayak the amazing waters of the Occoquan Reservoir and run the rugged Blue and White trails at Fountainhead. Solo or relay team. This is an epic race!
- Hemlock Half Marathon/10K(10/1/17) – Arguably one of our most challenging events, if your idea of fun includes running on dirt, over rocks, through creeks, along stream-side single-track, and up challenging hills, then this race is for you. Back for round two, the inaugural race in 2016 was a massive hit and racers loved the beauty and challenge of this event.
- Schaeffer Half Marathon/10K (11/4/17) - The flowy, fast, and fun trails at Schaeffer Farms include twisty single-track, stream crossings, log ramps, several steep hills, and open farm field running. Only moderately technical, this race course is the perfect ‘wind-down’ event at the end of the year.
As you can see from the highlights above, BIG FUN is planned for 2017. We hope you’ll come along for the ride.
Enjoy the Holidays!